We discovered the site was occupied, from the mid-nineteenth century, by the auxiliary workhouse of the South Dublin Union (a battlefield during the Easter Rising of 1916). Prior to this, it was predominantly undeveloped agricultural fields.
The Dublin Foundling Hospital and Poorhouse, and later the main SDU Workhouse, were located on the wider St James’s Hospital Campus, east of where the new hospital is being built.
Using new information, we were able to match building remains with historical records and assign functions, lifecycles and important historical milestones to the archaeological remains. The information was also used to ensure that the archaeological testing strategy delivered value for money by remaining focused and targeted.
Through discussions with the City Archaeologist, Dublin City Council and NMS, this level of detail has proven to be sufficient mitigation for these 19th and 20th century building remains. This revised strategy was reflected in the tender documentation we prepared for the project for the second phase of archaeological works which led to considerable time and cost savings for the client.
We were also able to reduce the risks at construction stage by specifying additional advanced test excavations following the demolition of buildings on the site, and monitoring ground works. These measures resulted in savings amounting to almost three times the cost of our role as Project Archaeologist for the project.
Following the completion of our PA role, we were appointed to undertake the archaeological monitoring of the main bulk earthworks at construction stage.