Managing development led impacts in Marine Archaeology requires special skills, methods and experience. Our specialists have a proven track record in providing all relevant services from pre-construction to post-mitigation works:
- Consultancy and strategic support
- Engagement with project stakeholders, including liaising with archaeological State Services, and
- Full service support for large scale projects worldwide
Environmental Impact Assessments
Our consultants provide an integrated and full scale service for Environmental Impact Assessments for all aspects of underwater archaeology: from river crossings to foreshore areas to offshore windfarms and subsea cables.
We use a desk-based analysis of primary and secondary sources to identify potential impact on known archaeological sites, including shipwrecks. Where applicable, we further assess the submerged landscapes to identify potential zones of prehistoric settlement activity. This approach in combination with interpretation of geophysical data known archaeological sites and large-scale geophysical survey data sets provides the basis for a comprehensive Environmental Impact Assessment:
- Desktop study of known archaeological sites and areas of archaeological potential
- Interpretation of geophysical data of known archaeological sites and large-scale survey data sets
- Marine geophysical and archaeological diving surveys on behalf of clients
- Recommendation of mitigation strategies to preserve submerged cultural heritage, including route selection support
- Recommendations for conservation of archaeological sites within development zones.
The AMS Marine Archaeologists are highly experienced field archaeologists, who have directed underwater archaeological sites from submerged settlements to shipwrecks. As certified commercial divers – and in combination with our wide network of specialists – we cover all potential aspects of development accompanying archaeological services:
- Monitoring of dredging works
- Archaeological diving services
- Archaeological excavation